You always wanted to run your own Linux server but don't know where to start?
The tutorials you can find online are incomplete, outdated or simply in a language from another planet?
You're welcome, that's how I felt when I started with it.
Read how you can have your own virtual or dedicated Linux Server for under 3 Euros a month, installed on one joyful geeky weekend.
My goal is to guide you through the entire process of the installation of a complete production environment which includes a Local Development Environment, Gitlab repository, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery and last but not least your own Linux Server on Hetzner Cloud running a web server for your web projects. That's exactly what I use for this blog and several other websites too.
What you get and what you don't get
At the end of this course you'll be familiar with a digital workflow that adapts many of the modern principles of software development project management. I'll try to deliver a maximum of valuable information to you.
I do not claim to know the best way nor do I think that there is one best way. I'll show you just my way of doing it. If you find mistakes, let me know. If you have a comment or want to say hello, let me know: firstname.lastname@example.org
Let's get started with the Course Syllable:
22.05.2021 – Part 1
- Introduction & reasoning
29.05.2021 – Part 2
- Create Hetzner Cloud Server
- Connect to Server
05.06.2021 – Part 3
- Update and upgrade Ubuntu installation and install apache2
- Install PHP
12.06.2021 – Part 4
- Establish ssh keys
- Add new sudo user
- Deactivate root user
- Make new sudo user owner of ssh service
19.06.2021 – Part 5
- Buy Domain and point it to Hetzner Server
- Create Virtual Host for domain
26.06.2021 – Part 6
- Get free Let's Encrypt SSL certificates
- Request certificate, active https and force SSL
03.07.2021 – Part 7
- Install Git on Remote Server
- Create CI/CD user and ssh keys for Gitlab on Remote Server
10.07.2021 – Part 8
- Create Gitlab Repository
- Establish ssh keys and configure CI/CD
17.07.2021 – Part 9
- Install MySQL
- Install phpMyAdmin
24.07.2021 – Part 10
- Summary of project development workflow
- I'll be back – The course update log
See you next week for more